School History

School History

According to Charles C. Seller, author of Dickinson College: A History, early accounts of the Mooreland area are quite interesting. Johnston Moore, 1882 Dickinson College graduate, owned a portion of the Mooreland area. Moore's home and a deer park were located on the property. In later years after Moore died, a subsequent owner divided the land into large lots so that Carlisle residents could build homes. Mr. David Swartz, Superintendent of Carlisle Area School District from 1950-73, bought one of the lots that was formerly part of the deer park, and his house was the first one built on Mooreland Avenue.

Swartz is credited for naming our school Mooreland, which was built in 1957-58. It was dedicated on October 20, 1958 and held 594 students. The first principal was Mrs. Myrtle Palmer, former principal of the Franklin School, which is now the YMCA. Subsequent principals were Mr. Robert Van Zandt; Dr. Gerald Fowler; Mr. Richard Ocker; Dr. Corrine Eisenhart; Mrs. Cathy Sroka; Mr. Jeffery Bell; and currently Ms. Kim Truckenmiller.

During the 2005-06 school year, Mooreland underwent a major renovation project. Approximately 300 students currently enjoy the recent renovations.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.